Hampton Park - Area 5003
Hampton Park is a park and neighbourhood in Kitchissippi Ward, in the west end of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. It is directly north of the Queensway at Island Park Drive. The neighbourhood, referred to as Hampton-Iona by its community association is sometimes considered a sub-neighbourhood of the Westboro area. The neighbourhood is bounded on the west by Tweedsmuir Avenue, on the east by Island Park Drive on the north by Richmond Road and the south by Carling Avenue. The population of the neighbourhood was 2,852 according to the Canada 2011 Census.
The area was first developed in 1910 by J.C. Brennan who shares his name with Brennan Avenue which is a residential street in the area. The neighbourhood is full of youth and lies quite near Hampton Park Plaza and Richmond Road. The park is maintained by the National Capital Commission.
Many streets in the Hampton Park neighbourhood are named for upper-class neighbourhoods of London, including Kensington, Piccadilly, Mayfair, and Windsor. The name Hampton Park might itself be named after the neighbourhood of Hampton in London.
Hampton Park has a fairly long history in the context of parks in the city of Ottawa. Baseball games were played in the park at least far back as 1916. An Ottawa Citizen article from the time indicates that the park was the location of a Trolley Line Baseball League game between Britannia and Ottawa West.
The park itself has existed in Ottawa's west end for almost 100 years. The area was purchased by the Federal District Commission (now the National Capital Commission) in 1927. The park is several blocks in length and has a flat grassy area with benches as well as a wooded area with paths which is mainly used by people walking their dogs